Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Moe on Chasing the Sun

Over the weekend, instead of sewing my kilt, I worked on this drawing. I originally sketched this in my Chasing the Sun sketchbook, and finally decided to try to draw it full size (17 inches x 22 inches).


"Kawamatsuri" means river festival.  In Isahaya Japan, way back in the 50s, the river flooded and killed a bunch of people.  Every August, they have a festival to  commemorate the event.


I drew this based on Isahaya's annual Kawamatsuri, or River Festival. Originally Lydia (in the lower right corner) was going to be on the bridge, which is why the guy in the background is waving. But I felt like the drawing needed something in the foreground to give it depth. (And just for the fun of it, I put Roy Harper into the picture--the guy with the beard at the tent on the right--Next to him is Akina Toriyama; and I put in Yoshi's brother--the guy in the black suit--from a story I wrote for the "Plainsight, Texas" strip I've had had at the back of my mind for twenty years. It's really tough when you have to explain the in jokes.)

No comments: