Thursday, September 13, 2007

Finally

I got my Linux computer only a few days before leaving for Vail. I didn't have enough time to figure out all the workings of the computer. I took some DVDs to watch while I was in my hotel room, only to learn that Linux doesn't do DVDs well. Most DVDs are encrypted, and the producers make a lot of money licensing the encryption, and Linux, as a rule, doesn't pay for that sort of stuff.


I tried a lot of programs, finally finding VLC. It seems to be the only thing that lets Linux play DVDs with menus.


If only I'd had a couple more days before leaving for Vail, I could have figured all this out in advance, rather than figuring it out when I came home. Of course, that begs the question, why didn't I figure it out on the road?


Oh yeah! I also figured out how to connect to the wireless network!

No comments: